In the world of "special needs " there are a few things we are learning:
Just to name a few......
There seems to be a bit of debate over using Kinesio Tape for core muscles in children with down syndrome. Im not going to debate over what is right or wrong.... Im just going to tell our experience.
Our Physical therapist with TARC , said that she doesnt like to use Kinesio tape because if its not placed in the correct areas / correct way it can do more harm than good.
But here is the info I found on Kinesio Tape for children (Cowgirl Up HI JEN!)
Kinesio Taping is great for kids because:
- It encourages the body’s muscles to complete multiple, correct repetitions of a desired movement over time.
- Anywhere your child’s therapist would put their hands to encourage or assist a certain movement, the therapist can apply the tape to guide the body in the correct movement.
- Your child will complete hundreds of correct repetitions, rather than practicing incorrect movements.
- Does not make the body do a certain movement, it makes the body want to do each movement correctly.
We may try it still....... Actually we probably will. We like to try just about everything we can that might benefit Mr. Mason.
look at that weight shifting
Since our PT wasnt big on the Kinesio Tape, We got a Spio Vest instead.
Happy to wear his Spio vestHere is what we have found on it:
The SPIO vest is ideal for children with poor core muscle activation, stabilization,
- Provides shoulder-trunk-hip stability and mid-line orientation
- Increases body awareness
It adjust in the back (velcro) so he gets the perfect fit
Both would help Mason become more aware and in control of his core muscles.
So for right now were just doing the Spio Vest.
Mason actually doesnt mind it. He can wear it all day, and its easy (and quick!!!) to put on and take off.
The things I have noticed the most is :
- He stands for longer periods of time.
- He is more balanced while standing.
- He stands/sits up straighter.
- He seem more "in control" of his movements as well.
I think this is a great tool to use in getting us closer to independent walking.
Also, Mason has his new ankle braces on order....more on that later!